The city of Santa Clarita is the third largest in all of Los Angeles County, Ca. and includes the communities of Newhall, Valencia, Saugus and Canyon Country. It is shaped like an inverted triangle with Newhall and Valencia on the lower left, Saugus at the top and Canyon Country on the right.
The community of Saugus is located in Santa Clarita, California. Directions: Take the 5 freeway north heading to Sacramento and then exiting right on Valencia Blvd. After two miles, turn Left on Bouquet Cyn Road about 3 miles. After passing Seco Canyon Road, you will be entering Saugus! It’s one of four communities (along with Valencia, Newhall, and Canyon Country) that merged in 1987, to create the city of Santa Clarita.
How Saugus Got its Name
First of all, Saugus is named after a town called Saugus located on the east coast of the U.S. in Massachusetts.
Saugus, Massachusetts was the birthplace of Henry Newhall
Henry M. Newhall purchased a Spanish land grant back in 188os.
So Henry Newhall at one time owned about 40,000 acres stretching from present-day Saugus all the way down the Ventura highway to modern day Santa Paula. (About 20 miles!)
He needed to name the town something because he intended to build a hotel at the railroad stop. That hotel and restaurant was called The Saugus Hotel and the Saugus Cafe.
Fun Fact: The Saugus Cafe, is still standing! It is among the oldest restaurants in Los Angeles County and patrons still flock to sample the tasty food that has been served there since 1887.
Population of Saugus
Want MORE fun statistics from Wikipedia that were gathered in 2001? Here ya go!
- The total population of Saugus in 2,001 stood at 41,743.
- The population density hovered around 218 persons per square mile.
- The median age estimated at 32.8 years with the average number of people per household of 3.1.
- Currently, 66.7% of the population of Saugus has tied the knot and 33.3% have not found a mate.
- Median household income is $80,940; per capita income is $29,816.
- Median home value hovers around $532,700.
- 4% of homes are owner-occupied; 14.8% are rentals.
- Schools are excellent!
Bob Boog Realty has listed and sold several homes and townhomes in the Saugus area.